Research paper- Social Work class
Term Paper Assignment SW110.docx
SCHOLARLY RESEARCH TERM PAPER GUIDELINES
Social Work 110 – 2020 – C. McCray
|Part I: Cover Page, Abstract, and the Literature Review section due on Tuesday, September 22, 2020, submitted through Canvas (10% of final grade).|
The Research Term Paper Assignment
Social Work 110 requires all students to write a 10-11 page (including cover page, abstract, references, and annotated bibliography pages) scholarly research term paper on a field of service in the social work profession, in the American Psychological Association (APA) format.
Your Paper Will Consist of the Following:
- Cover Page
- Literature Review
- Field of Service
- References Page
- Annotated Bibliography
You will submit the paper in two parts:
Part I – Cover page, abstract, Literature Review
Part II – Field of Service, References page, Annotated Bibliography
What are the Objectives of the Assignment (Student Learning Outcomes)?
- To assure that each student by the end of the semester will be able to demonstrate the ability to research, interpret, and report information related to a specific field of social work practice, grammatically correct APA (American Psychological Association) format. These skills are essential in social work education.
- Acquire knowledge and gain insight into a specific field of social work service
- Gain an understanding of the values and ethics that impact social workers in this field
- Demonstrate a beginning knowledge of how to consult and utilize research evidence to inform ongoing policy and practice
- Demonstrate knowledge and application of APA format
Choose One Field of Social Work Service to Write About (pages 21-26 main text)
|Child Welfare||Family, Youth and Children||Pregnancy & Parenting|
|School Social Work||Mental Health||Older Adults|
|Substance Abuse||Military Social Work||Medical Social Work|
|Grant Writing||International Social Work||Refugees and/or Immigrants|
|Disabilities||Crisis and Trauma||Administration|
|Violence, Victims and Criminal Justice||Community Organizing|
*** You can narrow your focus: For example: If your topic is Criminal Justice and Corrections, you could focus on the specific area of Juvenile Delinquency ***
What Are The Research Requirements?
Begin your research for appropriate and relevant reference materials. Use the topic headings to help you identify the areas of focus.
What are the Literature Requirements?
- You will need at least one book or e-book
- Choose a book that focuses mainly on the field of service that you have chosen (textbooks can be used as a supplemental source, but not the main source).
- The course textbook from Social Work 110 cannot be used as a reference.
- The book should be written by a professional in the field of social work or a closely related field.
- You will need three scholarly articles – What is a scholarly article?
- A scholarly article is written by a professional and is usually contained in a professional journal.
- Social work journals and articles written for the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) are good examples of appropriate references.
- “Social Work Today” is an online/hard copy magazine that often has scholarly research articles available; it is available in the Cuyamaca Library.
- You can also use journal articles from other related professions such as psychology, psychiatry, nursing, pediatrics, and education.
- Articles, research, and statistics from the Federal Government are acceptable.
- You can also use e-scholarly articles.
- Popular culture magazines, newspaper articles, and websites are not appropriate for scholarly research (Examples: Wikipedia and about.com).
*Please be sure that all resources include author/s and dates. Undated books, articles, or websites will not be accepted.
Important Research Specifics
- All resources must be from the United States of America
- All resources must be no older than 2010. The date must be included!
Locating Your Research
The Cuyamaca Library (Library building, LRC/C)
- The librarians have a copy of the Scholarly Research Term Paper Guidelines. They are all very skilled in helping students find appropriate resources and materials for this research assignment. The Cuyamaca Library has also purchased a large number of new books that will help social work students with this research term paper.
- For assistance with research contact a librarian in person at the reference desk on the 2nd floor.
- There is also an extensive online library that includes e-books and e-articles specifically for the subject of social work.
- For online reference assistance: http://www.cuyamaca.edu/library (Links to an external site.)
For Social Work Resources (e-books and e-articles):
http://cuyamaca.libguides.com/socialwork (Links to an external site.)
Accessing Resources from Cuyamaca Library
- The Cuyamaca College Librarians can reserve books from the SDSU Library at no cost to Cuyamaca students. Scholarly articles are also available from SDSU.
Part I of the Research Term Paper
- Cover Page
- Literature Review
- Define Field of Service
- Target Population
- Practice Methods
- Social Worker Role
The Topic Headings – Content of the Scholarly Research Term Paper
- Below are the topic headings as provided by San Diego State University for the “Literature Review” and “Field of Service.”
- A literature review is a way of organizing, summarizing, and critiquing a topic to inform the reader about a problem or issue.
- It allows you to examine the research question, topic, problem, or issue in greater detail by considering what other people’s’ writings and studies have shown.
|Topic Headings for the Literature Review