POLICY PRESCRIPTION PAPER
PS1, Dr. DURUKAN
In this 3-page paper you will propose a policy (which means a political solution) to a given problem. The objective of this assignment is to convince readers that this prescribed policy provides the best political ideas and tools to tackle and solve the problem.
The best way to find a topic is to identify a problem in your job, your home, your community/city, school, or any other localized area. Sample topics could include:
- Gang violence in your community
- Opioid crisis
- How to encourage more people to vote in the presidential elections.
- Teenage Pregnancy
- Prison Overcrowding
Paper Should Include:
- Presentation of the problem (its existence, seriousness, and causes)
- Consequences of failing to solve the problem
- The title of the policy
- The stake holders involved in this issue, including individuals, groups, institutions, government, etc.
- Description of the proposed policy in detail.
- List of steps for raising awareness –by your group- and mobilizing public to help you solve the problem
- Discussion of reasons to support the policy
Citation and Sources:
- Use MLA writing style guidelines.
- Make sure that you cite all the works you have used.
- USE IN-TEXT CITATION!
- Minimum number of resources required: 1 Books, and 1 academic journal articles, and 1 newspaper and or magazine articles, and 1 websites.
- Unacceptable web sources: Wikipedia; Ask.Com; Any site that sells/provides college papers
Here is a sample paper you might find useful:
Welfare Abuse Policy Prescription Paper Sample
- Identify an issue (a problem) that needs to be fixed, such as “Welfare Abuse”.
- Explain the nature of the problem and describe why current welfare regulations have failed.
- Next, propose your own policy, meaning a political solution, such as a law to fix the welfare abuse problem.
- Describe the content and the scope of this new policy by itemizing the rules it establishes. For example, who should be eligible to get welfare benefits? How long an individual should be able to collect these benefits? Should there be any verification system to check applicant’s personal information? Should there be any rules regarding for what they can spend their government provided money? What kinds of penalties should be put into place if someone is caught cheating, etc.?
- Make sure to follow MLA writing style and remember to cite every single source used.