Module 6 Discussion Question:
Lack of cultural awareness and failure to provide culturally competent care can impact patients in a negative manner, adding more stress, and resulting in inadequate care provided by nurses. First answer: What makes a nurse culturally competent? Then explain a situation in your practice as a nurse where either cultural competence was at the forefront of care or was lacking.
Your initial posting should be at least 400 words in length and utilize at least one scholarly source other than the textbook.
Module 6 Assignment: (Please be sure to review the assignment details in Module 6 under the “content” tab).
Expanding Cultural Knowledge
Speaker notes are required!
Create a PowerPoint presentation that addresses each of the following points/questions. Be sure to completely answer all the questions for each bullet point. Use clear headings that allow your professor to know which bullet you are addressing on the slides in your presentation. Support your content with at least three (3) sources using APA citations throughout your presentation. Make sure to cite the sources using the APA writing style for the presentation. Include a slide for your references at the end. Follow best practices for PowerPoint presentations related to text size, color, images, effects, wordiness, and multimedia enhancements. Review the rubric criteria for this assignment.
Pick a cultural group (different from yours) that you commonly care for at work. Research the answers to the following…
- Health Beliefs and Practices
- Family patterns
- Communication style
- Space orientation and Time orientation
- Nutritional Patterns
- Pain Responses
- Childbirth and perinatal care
- Death and Dying
- Spirituality, religion, and faith (include holy days)
- Prayer and meditation
- What knowledge did you gain about this group that you were not aware of?
- How will this knowledge change the way you care for this cultural group?
- Title Slide (1 slide)
- Objective Slide (1 slide)
- Health Beliefs and Practices (1-2 slide)
- Family patterns (1-2 slide)
- Communication style (1-2 slide)
- Space orientation and Time orientation (1-2 slide)
- Nutritional Patterns (1-2 slide)
- Pain Responses (1-2 slide)
- Childbirth and perinatal care (1-2 slide)
- Death and Dying (1-2 slide)
- Spirituality, religion, and faith (include holy days) (1-2 slide)
- Prayer and meditation (1-2 slide)
- What knowledge did you gain about this group that you were not aware of? (1-2 slide)
- How will this knowledge change the way you care for this cultural group? (1-2 slide)
- References (1 slide)
Length: 15-27 slides
Structure: Include a title slide, objective slide, content slides, reference slide in APA format.
References: Use appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. A minimum of three (3) scholarly sources are required for this assignment.
Rubric: This assignment uses a rubric for scoring. Please review it as part of your assignment preparation and again prior to submission to ensure you have addressed its criteria at the highest level.
Format: Save your assignment as a Microsoft PPT document (.pptx) or a PDF document (.pdf)