To fortify your understanding of operating system memory management, this assignment requires students to study chapters 8, 9, 10, and 11 of Garg and Verma’s 2017 book: Operating Systems: An Introduction.
Based on your own research, write a report to answer the following questions:
- Discuss paging and segmentation, their similarities and differences (Chapter 8).
- Briefly explain virtual memory concepts and page replacement algorithms (Chapter 9).
- Explain Demand paging and Thrashing (Chapter 9).
- Explain what Sequential and Indexed files are (Chapter 10).
- When multiple interrupts occur simultaneously, a priority scheme could be applied to decide the order in which the interrupts should be handled. Discuss issues that need to be considered when assigning priorities to different interrupts (Chapter 11).
Using information from the modular background readings and any good quality resource you can find, write a 3-page (excluding the title page and reference pages), single-spaced report to address questions in this assignment.
The following items will be assessed in particular:
- Your ability to address all questions based on reading materials and your own research.
- Your ability to write a report clearly and succinctly.