- Read assigned article (Wagner, 2017). Wagner, 2017 Article: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/03/508037642/study-says-gun-violence-should-be-treated-as-a-public-health-crisis
- Then watch the film, The Interrupters (1 hour, 54 minutes in length) on your own. The film can be accessed for free by clicking on the following link: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/interrupters/ (Links to an external site.)
- Once the full film has been watched, thoroughly read the prompts below and respond by typing directly into the textbox. Your answers should address ALL points below and should be a minimum of 500 words total. Please use the numbers in the prompt when responding.
- In the film, violence is described specifically as a health issue by the founder of the Ceasefire organization. Additionally, in the assigned article, gun violence is described as a public health issue. Provide, in your own words, an explanation of how violence/gun violence can be viewed as a public health issue. Please use examples from both the film and the assigned article to illustrate your point(s).
- In what ways do the social determinants of health contribute to violence? Use specific examples from the film to demonstrate your point(s).
- Describe a part of the film that you found especially interesting AND/OR disturbing AND/OR surprising. Explain why you found this part of the film interesting/disturbing/surprising.
- Provide at least one meaningful suggestion for how public health professionals can address gun and/or gang violence. Please do not use the intervention strategy utilized in The Interrupters as your response.