Financial Markets Research Paper
This is an individual assignment. The goal is the study, analyze and report your findings about the 2008-2009 Great Recession.
For your essay, you need to choose a particular institution/factor that played a key role in the recent financial crisis. For example, you can write about the reasons for the crisis, the impact of the crisis on financial markets and institutions, the impact on the global economy, the response to the financial crisis (the bailout plan and the effect of it on financial markets), or the aftermath of the crisis. The idea of this project is to connect the knowledge you gain from this course to the current financial situation, to apply the concepts that you learn in this class, and to better understand the financial system in the U.S. This project should be interesting to you!!! Try to find something interesting and related to our class, which you would want to share with others about the financial crisis and describe it in your paper.
Listed below are some of the possible titles (focus area) of your paper. You have to choose one particular factor/institution and do an in-depth analysis in your essay. You could choose your own area to focus on as well but you should let me know what you have chosen.
- Role of credit rating agencies (S&P, Moodys, Fitch)
- Role of too-big-to-fail financial institutions (JP Morgan, Citi, Bank of America)
- Collapse of Lehman Brothers
- Mortgage Lenders and their role (e.g. Countrywide)
- Banks (Wachovia)
- Investment Banks (Bear Stearn, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley)
- Mortgage processors and underwriting process
- Treasury’s role, TARP program
- Federal Reserve’s role & reaction
- Failures of small regional banks (mostly in FL, GA, NV, CO, NM, AZ)
- Role of government policies (capital gains in housing, affordable home care act, increasing home ownership, regulatory laxity, etc)
- Frank-Dodd Act
- Stress test for financial institutions
- Over regulation and impact on small/community banks
- Aftermath of the great recession – impact analysis on consumers/real estate/employment
- Any special topic that is of interest to you – email me for approval to ensure it is relevant
Essay structure (Grade)
- Cover page – Title and your name, course information (1%)
- Table of contents – with titles of sections and corresponding page numbers (1%)
- Introduction – about 2 pages or less (2 %)
- Rationale – why you chose this particular factor to do research (2%)
- Explanation – organize in separate readable paragraphs. Should have titles and sub-titles in the content. (10%)
- Conclusion (2%)
- A list of references (APA style) (1%)
- Page numbers in the footer (1%)
- Plagiarism – TurnItIn is used to cross check originality. If evidence of copying, you’ll automatically receive 0 in this project and reported for academic misconduct.
Requirements: Must be followed to the T, no excuses. This is a graded paper. Adherence to instruction matters is imperative for a good grade.
- This project should help you develop your writing skills which are very important to be a successful professional. The best way to develop your writing skills is to practice. Therefore, this paper is to help you polish your writing skills.
- The content (Introduction through conclusion) of the paper should be at least 7 pages long (not including the cover page, table of contents, reference list, graphs, charts, etc). Your essay must be typed, double spaced, justified, in 12 point font (Times New Roman/Century Gothic or Arial), with 1 inch margins all around and page numbers on the bottom right corner.
- You must cite any “direct quotes” AND paraphrased ideas from the article or other sources. Papers that do not properly cite sources will lose points. You should use APA style for the references. See the APA online guide for more information on how to cite your work.
- Submit your essay via Assignment dropbox through Turnitin.
Please see essay structure for how the grades are allocated.
Report – will be graded for writing, comprehensive analysis, research, references used, following instructions. Poor writing, grammatical mistakes including spelling mistakes will be penalized. A good idea would be complete the report a week before the due date.
Review it at least 3-4 times before submission. Use spell check and ensure there is well written.
Practice makes perfect, so review and revise it as many times as possible.