Writing letters to public officials is a form of political advocacy for clients and social workers. For this Assignment, you will write an advocacy letter to public official about a problem and a policy. In addition, you will write a 1-2 page explanation of your letter. Your explanation will provide the rationale behind your chosen issue and the approach you took with the specific representative.
Assignment: In the same document, submit both Part I and II of the assignment (2-4 pages):
Part I: Letter to Representative
Your letter should include:
- A description of the social welfare issue
- An explanation of how you want the legislator to respond to the issue (vote, create legislation, hold public hearings, etc.) and why.
- Support of your viewpoints with credible facts and research.
Part II: Explanation (1-2 pages, double-space, APA format)
For this part of the assignment, provide an explanation of:
- Why you selected the issue
- How the issue affects social work
- The reason you chose the specific representative
- The approach you took with the representative (consider the representative’s voting history, political affiliation, and any other factors you considered)