Analyzing the Team
Last week, you began to analyze your team by considering its level of emotional intelligence (EI). You also considered the communication style of both the team and leader. You will continue analyzing the team and its leaders by using the concepts that we have studied this week. Consider the following categories and answer the questions:
- What are the common values team members’ shares? How do these common values help the leader?
- Are there any shared team values, which, if present hinder the team’s performance? Justify.
- Are there any shared values missing which if present would enable higher team performance?
- Is the leader a value-based leader? Justify.
- What action steps would enhance the shared values of the team?
- How would you analyze the leader of the team using the four EI dimensions (self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management)?
- What competencies does the leader have that are strengths?
- What competencies might be lacking or are weaknesses?
- Is the team marked by resonance (positive emotions) or dissonance (negative emotions)?
- What action steps would help improve the leaders’ EI?
- Is power shared in the group? How?
- Do team members feel empowered?
- Is the level of empowerment in the group appropriate? Why?
- What conditions exist that support team members’ feelings of empowerment?
- What conditions exist that if removed could increase team members’ feelings of empowerment?
- What action steps could improve empowerment/motivation in the team?