Finding Determinants using Row Operations
Creative Commons License (CC BY): This text, including the art and illustrations, are available under
the Creative Commons license (CC BY), allowing anyone to reuse, revise, remix and redistribute the text.
To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
a d v a n c i n g l e a r n i n g
A First Course in Linear Algebra an Open Text
Base Text Revision History
Current Revision: Version 2017 — Revision A
Extensive edits, additions, and revisions have been completed by the editorial staff at Lyryx Learning.
All new content (text and images) is released under the same license as noted above.
• Lyryx: Front matter has been updated including cover, copyright, and revision pages.
• I. Farah: contributed edits and revisions, particularly the proofs in the Properties of Determinants II:
Some Important Proofs section
• Lyryx: The text has been updated with the addition of subsections on Resistor Networks and the
Matrix Exponential based on original material by K. Kuttler.
• Lyryx: New example 7.35 on Random Walks developed.
2016 A • Lyryx: The layout and appearance of the text has been updated, including the title page and newly
designed back cover.
• Lyryx: The content was modified and adapted with the addition of new material and several im-
• Lyryx: Additional examples and proofs were added to existing material throughout.
• Original text by K. Kuttler of Brigham Young University. That version is used under Creative Com-
mons license CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/) made possible by
funding from The Saylor Foundation’s Open Textbook Challenge. See Elementary Linear Algebra for
more information and the original version.