PROJECT–PROFESSIONAL CODE DRAFT
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies:
- Competency 1: Explain the nature of ethical issues.
- Summarize an appropriate professional code of ethics.
- Competency 2: Critically examine the contributions of key thinkers from the history of ethics.
- Classify features of a professional code of ethics as arising from deontological, consequentialist, or virtue ethics.
- Competency 3: Engage in ethical debate.
- Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of each approach to ethical theory in the context of workplace ethics.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively in the context of personal and professional moral discourse.
- Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of professional communities.
This essay is the second of three components of your final course project on workplace ethics.
Identify a professional association that oversees people engaged in your chosen vocation and locate the formal code of conduct statement by that association. (There are links to several possible choices in the resources list for this unit, but you are free to choose another if you like.) Your task this week is to summarize and connect the features of the code of ethics within the context of traditional ethical theory.
As you consider each feature of the professional code of ethics you have chosen, identify whether each of them depends, in principle, on the deontological approach, the consequentialist approach, or a virtue theory of ethics. Assess the advantages and disadvantages of each of these theoretical approaches in the context of workplace ethics. Where, in your professional code, might the use of another approach make significant differences?
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA guidelines for style and format.
- Number of resources: There are no minimum number of resources required; however, use your judgment to ensure your topic is thoroughly researched.
- Length of paper: 3–4 typed double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Arial, 12 point.