In this discussion, you will work in small groups in online discussions to read and interpret statistical graphs. This group discussion will help prepare you for activity M7A2, in which you will write and submit an individual paper analyzing a similar statistical graph.
For this discussion, you will be reading and interpreting graphs, tables, and maps from a particular news report. Specifically:
- Refer to the following report about dropout rates (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. (Note that this report is located in the CQ Researcher Plus Archive (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. research database of the Excelsior College Library (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..)
- Click on “Maps/Graphs” on the list on the left side of the screen. Read all graphs, tables, and maps.
- Note: The graphs can be made larger (to read text more easily) by increasing your browser magnification or CTRL+ on your keyboard. CTRL – will decrease the magnification. If you have trouble viewing the graphs, please contact your instructor.
- Answer the following questions:
- How many states had graduation rates below 75% during the 2011-2012 school year?
- In what year was the national graduation rate approximately 75%?
- What was the graduation rate for Asian American students in 2011-2012?
- Describe anything that makes the graphs hard to read. What would you do differently?
- Describe 3 additional pieces of information that you can read from these data displays.
CQ Research is a great source of information. This CQ Research Tip Sheet (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. will be helpful if you wish to explore further for a research paper or just for your own interest.
Be sure to answer all parts of the question above. It is possible that you will not be successful at answering all parts of the question at this point, and that is okay. Describe what you were able to solve and what questions you have remaining.
It is important to follow the Discussion Problem Instructions