Project: Client System Role Play Reflection and Analysis Paper
After planning the script and videotaping the role play, how did it feel to walk in the shoes of a social worker? What insights did you gain from the experience? What aspects of this experience were challenging for you? Being able to recognize the areas where you were successful and the areas where you need improvement are what make role plays an important part of your social work education.
For the written segment of your Final Project, reflect on your experience in developing this role play video. Consider any insights you gained from the experience, as well as the challenges you might have experienced in its planning and execution. Think about the specific techniques you used and why you used them. Finally, review the videos your colleagues posted. Select one of those videos and consider any areas in which your colleague might improve his or her approach and why.
By Day 7, submit a 4-5 page APA-formatted paper analyzing your and a colleague’s role-play.
Your written assignment should include:
- A reflection on your experience in doing this role play video.
- An explanation of any insights you gained from the experience.
- An explanation of the challenges you experienced in planning and executing the role-play.
- Focus on insights and challenges related to demonstrating skills and engaging as a professional social worker, not on technical aspects of role-playing or recording the scene.
- An explanation of the specific engagement techniques you used and analysis of why you used them.
- In the course of an interview, social workers make spontaneous, deliberate, and conscious decisions about what to do or say next, based upon the client’s statements and non-verbal cues (column 1 and column 2 of transcript).
- Reflect on what both parties are experiencing and whether that is consistent or contrary to what they are actually saying. Explain how skills used during the Engagement stage addressed both verbal and non-behavior communication.
- A brief description of the colleague’s role-play video you selected.
- A critique of what your colleague did well in the video you selected and an explanation of areas in which your colleague might improve their approach and why.