short essay about Beowulf
For this assignment, you will use supporting evidence from Beowulf, Emerson’s “Heroism,” and your notes to answer one of these questions in an 8-10 sentence essay:
- Would Emerson consider Beowulf a hero? Look at his description of heroism in the excerpts you’ve read to determine your answer. Use the Option A Writing Organizer to collect your thoughts before writing.
- What characteristics from Emerson’s “Heroism” are most necessary for defeating a monster like Grendel? Use theOption B Writing Organizer to collect your thoughts before writing.
You can revisit previous lessons or use these links to reference the excerpts you’ve previously read:
- Excerpt 1: Grendel
- Excerpt 2: Beowulf
- Excerpt 3: Grendel Arrives
- Excerpt 4: The Battle Begins
- Excerpt 5: Conclusion of the Battle
- Excerpt 6: Emerson’s “Heroism”
Be sure to use summarizing, paraphrasing, and properly punctuated direct quotations to support your ideas.
Your essay will be evaluated using the Concept Synthesis: Exploring the Hero rubric