effective thesis development english
this is a brief assignment structured to familiarize students with thesis development and outlining strategies, while allowing a brief writing on one of a number of topics.
1. SELECT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING TOPICS;
2. IDENTIFY AN AUDIENCE AND PROVIDE A VERY BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THAT AUDIENCE;
3. NEXT, DRAFT AN OUTLINE TO INCLUDE A THESIS STATEMENT, A STATEMENT IDENTIFYING YOUR WRITING PURPOSE, AS WELL AS AN IDENTIFICATION AND DESCRIPTION OF YOUR INTENDED AUDIENCE;
4. IN ADDITION TO THE THESIS STATEMENT, ALSO INCLUDE A TOPIC SENTENCE FOR THE OTHER TWO PARAGRAPHS; AND
5. WRITE THE THREE PARAGRAPHS ARTICULATING YOUR PERSPECTIVE ON THE SELECTED TOPIC.
THE TOPICS ARE:
- using writing as a tool of expression;
- your strengths as a writer;
- your greatest writing challenge;
- the economic outlook for 2019;
- the importance of writing well;
- the differences between informative and persuasive writing; or
- “why write?”