Within the video, you saw the traffic stop conducted by Maine State Trooper Stephen Murray, who stopped a motorist for driving 29 miles over the speed limit. During this incident, you learned that the motorist had previous convictions, and when the trooper returns to the vehicle, the motorist becomes negative, hostile and obviously agitated with the stop, becoming increasingly more enraged.
For this assignment you are to put yourself in Trooper Murray’s shoes and COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IN A 1-2 PAGE ESSAY.
- Research the policies for any police department in the U.S. and determine what their Standard Operating Procedures/General Orders state about conducting traffic stops. This link, IACP Sample (Links to an external site.) provides a sample policy from the IACP. In this example the following policies may apply (1.3, 1.4, 1.14, 1.21, 1.26, 2.1, 2.14, and 2.16) You may use this sample if you are unable to locate one for a specific agency. Outline in your own words what these state.
- Utilizing what you learned in your policy/procedures research and/or from the sample provided, determine what the Standard Operating Procedures/General Orders state about videos of incidents (vehicle or body) and what employees should do with interesting or unusual video taken during their daily patrol activities? Outline, in your own words, what these state.
- Did Trooper Murray follow the directives outlined in their policies?
- If you were Trooper Murray would you have reacted the same way? Why? Why not?
- If you were Trooper Murray, would have reacted differently? If so, in what way and why? (Remember you have to abide by the agency’s policies and procedures as well as state and federal laws).
- Do you believe that Trooper Murray acted in a professional manner? Why or why not?
- With this case, as with many other recent cases, video evidence in law enforcement has proved to give true accounts of the event. Do you believe that vehicle and body cameras should be a routine part of police work? If so, why? If not, why?
- Use correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Be detailed in your description, using full and complete sentences. Sections must be a minimum of one paragraph in length. Bulleted items and lists will not be acceptable. Please include in text citations in APA format as to where you obtained this information.
- Do not just cut and paste the information you have found from the various law enforcement agencies.