Heart disease remains the number one cause of death in the U.S. but there has been amazing progress in how we treat it through lifestyle changes, medications, and surgery. Complications for cardiac surgery can include acute kidney injury. Treatment options can include the use of anti-inflammatory drugs, for example dexamethasone, to prevent these complications. For your discussion post:
- Discuss how acute kidney injury can be a complication of cardiac surgery.
- Describe long term effects of the use of anti-inflammatory drugs
Treatment options for acute and chronic diseases continue to advance in efforts to cure diseases or manage symptoms and improve quality of life. While working in healthcare, it is important to be able to research treatment options to understand the different treatments or questions patients may need to consider.
Select 1 disease directly related to one of the body systems reviewed in this module. Research and select a peer reviewed article written within the past 5 years discussing treatment options for the selected disease and write a 1-page (minimum) Annotated Bibliography. For annotated bibliographies, use standard APA format for the citations, then add a brief entry, including:
- 2 to 4 sentences to summarize the main idea(s) of the source including a brief summary of the disease and treatment option(s).
- 1 or 2 sentences to assess and evaluate the source including if this information is reliable and discuss if the source is objective or biased.
- 1 or 2 sentences to reflect on the source including how this information can benefit a patient and your understanding of the selected disease.
Use APA formatting for your citations and references. For more information on APA, navigate to the Resources tab in this course.